In today’s world, messaging has become a part and parcel of our daily lives. With the increase in the usage of smartphones, sending and receiving messages has become an easy and convenient way of communicating. People often share pictures and videos through messaging apps to convey their emotions or share their experiences. However, not everyone wants to keep all the pictures and videos they receive, and the automatic saving of these files can quickly fill up phone storage space. If you’re wondering how to turn off saving photos from messages, this article will provide you with a comprehensive guide.
Why Turn Off Saving Photos from Messages?
The saving of photos from messages is a feature that’s enabled by default on most messaging apps. This means that whenever someone sends you a picture or a video, it gets saved automatically to your phone’s gallery. While this feature might be helpful to some, others might find it problematic. Here are some reasons why you might want to turn off saving photos from messages:
- Privacy Concerns: Not everyone wants their private photos to be saved on their phones’ gallery, especially if they share the phone with others.
- Storage Space: Photos and videos take up a lot of storage space. If you receive a lot of pictures and videos, they can quickly fill up your phone’s storage, making it slow and laggy.
- Organization: The automatic saving of photos from messages can make it challenging to organize your gallery. If you have too many pictures, finding a particular photo might become a daunting task.
How to Turn Off Saving Photos from Messages on iOS?
If you’re an iPhone user, you can turn off the automatic saving of photos from messages by following these simple steps:
- Step 1: Go to Settings and click on Messages.
- Step 2: Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on ‘Keep Messages.’
- Step 3: Select ’30 Days’ or ‘1 Year’ instead of ‘Forever.’ This will delete old messages and prevent them from taking up unnecessary storage.
- Step 4: Go back to the Messages settings page and scroll down to the ‘Photos’ section.
- Step 5: Toggle off the ‘Save to Camera Roll’ option.
- Step 6: Alternatively, you can also turn off the ‘Low Quality Image Mode’ option, which will prevent the automatic download of lower quality images and videos.
How to Turn Off Saving Photos from Messages on Android?
If you’re an Android user, you can turn off the automatic saving of photos from messages by following these steps:
- Step 1: Open the messaging app you’re using.
- Step 2: Tap on the three dots located at the top right corner of the screen.
- Step 3: Select ‘Settings’ from the drop-down menu.
- Step 4: Scroll down to the ‘Advanced’ section.
- Step 5: Toggle off the ‘Auto-download MMS’ option.
- Step 6: Alternatively, you can also tap on ‘System settings’ and then select ‘Storage.’
- Step 7: From there, you can select the messaging app you’re using and then toggle off the ‘Save received files’ option.
Turning off saving photos from messages is a simple process that can help you free up storage space on your phone and improve your privacy. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can easily turn off this feature on both iOS and Android devices. It’s essential to keep in mind that while turning off this feature can help you manage your storage and privacy, it also means that you’ll have to manually save any pictures or videos that you want to keep. However, the benefits of turning off this feature far outweigh the inconvenience of manually saving images and videos. So, go ahead and give it a try!